According to the latest figures from Net Applications, Windows 10 has already been installed on over 75 million PCs. Vole wants a billion devices running Windows 10 “in two to three years,” though that includes not just PCs, but smartphones, consoles and IoT devices.
Windows 10 had 0.39 percent market share in July, and gained 4.82 percent age points to hit 5.21 percent in August.
Windows 8 slipped 0.21 percent age points to 2.56 percent, while Windows 8.1 fell 1.71 points to 11.39 percent. Together, they owned 13.95 percent of the market at the end of August, down from 15.86 percent at the end of July. Windows 8 and 8.1 never gained more than 20 percent market share mark (they peaked at 16.45 per cent in May), and with Windows 10 now available, they never will.
There’s lots of percents in this story.
Windows 7 passed the 60 percent market share mark in June but in in August dropped 3.08 points to 57.67 percent.
Windows 7 will remain the most popular OS for at least this year. Windows 7 overtook Windows XP in September 2012.
Windows Vista meanwhile slipped 0.02 points to 1.82 percent. Windows XP somehow managed to gain 0.40 points to 12.14 percent. The free upgrade to Windows 10 doesn’t apply to Vista or XP.
Windows gained a bit of share in August, up 0.18 points to 90.84 percent. Mac OS X and Linux in turn suffered minor losses, losing 0.13 points to 7.53 percent and 0.05 points to 1.63 percent , respectively.